Thursday, October 3, 2013

A SAD FUNERAL

     This is an article I wrote in the '90's. Since then we have lost many dear friends and loved ones, some who were Christians and unfortunately, some who were not.

     A SAD FUNERAL

     All funerals are sad; no one wants to lose someone you love or to see others lose someone they care about.  Mark and I have lost several friends, but so far not too many relatives.   I guess the closest ones I've lost were my grandmother last May and my nephew, James, in August 1989.   And although both funerals were sad occasions, my grandmother's was definitely the saddest.  My nephew was only five months old when he died--he had been in intensive critical care hooked up to machines since birth.   There is no doubt that as much as he was wanted here, he went on to a much better place.   He is now safe and free of pain.  

   My grandmother, however, was not a Christian.   Her funeral was hard because there really was not a lot you could say for comfort.   Funerals are for the living and that is who the preacher speaks to.   The speaker (a minister of the church) at my grandmother's funeral said that he did not know her and therefore, could not judge her, but her fate was sealed and she has gone on to the next realm--it is too late to change her destiny, but what about those she left behind?   It is not too late for us to change our way of living if need be.

            We have probably all lost friends and loved ones, both Christians and non-Christians and it is too late for them--but it is not too late for us or for our friends and family that we still have with us.   We were not expecting my grandmother to die when she did--especially that suddenly, but it just goes to show that none of us know how much time we have left, and we need to make the most of it.   I don't want to attend any more funerals devoid of hope--and I don't want to be responsible for letting my friends and family die lost.   How about you?   We may not be able to save everyone, but we can sure teach them.  It is something for which we will be held accountable (I Timothy 4:16).
--Beckye Mosher
*************************************
THREE THINGS THAT DO NOT
 COME BACK

Remember, three things come not back:

The arrow sent upon its track--
It will not swerve, it will not stay
Its speed, it flies to wound or slay;

The spoken word, so soon forgot
By thee, but it has perished not;
In other hearts 'tis living still,
And doing work for good or ill;

And the lost opportunity
That cometh back no more to thee--
In vain thou weepest, in vain doest yearn.

These three will nevermore return.


--Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment