Thursday, July 11, 2013

Helping Others

           Cassie has always had an “I want to save you” attitude about people. She really seems drawn to those who are a little different or those who ask for help. She always thinks she can help them. It seems almost any time I leave her in the car people ask her for money and today was no exception. I left both Calli and her in the car (Cassie was driving) while I went in the Beehive. I barely get in the door when I look out the window and see her talking (thru the partially open window) to a man. I just stayed and watched to make sure nothing happened until I saw her hand him something and he took off jogging. 

              After I got back in the car I asked her what it was all about and she said he had asked for money for food, and he was a nice guy because he looked her in the eye and told her he wouldn’t hurt her, and that any amount was fine because he just wanted to get food for himself and his family. She assured me he was sincere and that he wasn’t drunk or on drugs because he was coherent and didn’t have any symptoms of drug use (which she proceeded to describe to me!). She gave him 50 cents because that was all she had. She realized later that we had a whole plate of hot dogs and buns from the 4H get together we’d just been to and felt really bad that she hadn’t given those to him. Right after I got in the car we saw him go by with a plate of food and Cassie was all “See! He’s legit! I wish I had more to give him.” As I said, this is not the first time this has happened. Last time a woman told her a long story about how she was going to die if she didn’t get an operation so Cassie gave her whatever money she had then as well. I feel sure that wasn’t legit.
          
              I think because of Mark’s years of preaching/benevolent work, we are both very skeptical of helping people this way. I think that Cassie has a very sweet heart to want to do this. I also think that she may one day get in trouble trying to help people. And I do think most people begging this way are not legit. But it’s her money and if that’s what she wants to do, then I’m going to let her. I’m glad he did buy food (even tho’ her daddy pointed out that he might have needed money for food because he’d already spent his on booze and cigarettes…I told you we’re skeptical).
          
              We attended a funeral for a dear friend yesterday and he was known for helping everyone, including the homeless or others begging for money. His wife would sometimes tell him that he shouldn’t because they were taking advantage of him. He told her that that may be true but he was going to help them all and let the Lord sort it all out. It made Cassie’s day to see the man go by with a plate of food and she did feel bad that she hadn’t given more or offered him the hot dogs.
           
                I remember reading about how a friend made packages of snack crackers and a few other items along with a Bible verse to keep on hand to pass out to those in need. I told Cassie that we would do that. We don’t see as many homeless as some do, but we do still see our share. While I was researching other ideas of what to put in the bags, I found an article where the author said that she used to avoid eye contact and  look away whenever she saw anyone asking for food, but after she made up packages and began passing them out she realized that looking the person in the eye, sharing a smile, touching their hand as she passed them the bag, all made a difference to the person in need. Many of these people are overlooked by society and maybe they won’t use what we give them, but they do deserve to be recognized and they need our compassion far more than the food/toiletry items. So we will begin dong this and not only will it make Cassie feel good to be able to help, maybe it will make a difference to that person as well and if not, as Ben said, “We will just let the Lord sort it out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment